Sunday, April 13, 2014

Saw it, Pinned it, Tried it! How to Make Jute Wrapped Easter Eggs

Hi everyone!

Yup, it’s that time again…Pinterest evaluation! I have seen these jute wrapped Easter eggs everywhere in Pinterest. I thought they were cute and would be a simple Easter project.

pin1

Jute Wrapped Easter Eggs2

Pin It
According to the different blogs I visited to research the “How to” instructions, it seemed pretty quick and easy. They said this is all you need”

Cheap plastic eggs

Jute

Hot Glue Gun

Scissors

You can pick up but the glue gun at a dollar store.

Okay, I have all of that. So here we go!

IMG_8192

A little tip to start that wasn’t mentioned in the “How to” but, after the first egg, I did this and that was to do a quick gluing the two pieces of the plastic egg together.

Start by putting a dab of hot glue on the end on the egg and glue down the end of the jute. Then you start going in circles adding hot glue and the jute.

I did two eggs following these directions.

That was all I did! I took way too long and the hot glue dries super fast, at least faster than I could circle the jute. And it gets messy.

IMG_8250

So that mess ends up on the finished eggs. You just can’t pull each of the gluey glops off the jute.

So, I discover two issues, besides having the patience of a two year old, Hot glue wasn't working for me other than the ends (it secures the jute quickly) and use a thicker jute because it holds better and it is faster.

Okay, on to Diann’s revised version of the craft!

IMG_8247

Grab some cheap white glue and mix a little bit of water in it to thin it just a tad. Grab a brush to paint it on the egg.

IMG_8248

First thing, besides making sure you have a decent manicure and not chipped off polish like me, is to use hot glue to secure the end of the jute and wrap a few times around it. Then paint the white glue mix on to the egg and start wrapping the jute around the egg. Make sure you turn the egg as you wrap so you can get it tight and close.

Once you wind the jute all around the egg, use another dap of hot glue to fasten the other end .

Jute Wrapped Eggs

You can see the difference between the glue in the picture above.

I think I will make more of these. I have seen them embellished with vintage lace and ribbon or even other colors of twine/jute. 

Jute Wrapped Easter Eggs 3

Pin It
For right now, I am leaving them natural. I kind of like them simple.

So, what do you think? Are you going to make a few of these wrapped Easter eggs?

For more Easter DIY ideas, check out my Easter Board

Follow me for more fun and thriftiness!

Bloglovin

The Thrifty Groove Facebook

Pinterest

Twitter

Google+

Hometalk

I’m joining;

You’re Gonna Love it Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. I wondered about the hot glue and burning the skin off all my fingers in the process Diann! I love that you give and easier, less painful solution :-) I'm also loving this new series!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Diann. Very nice, also, that you share your talents with us. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever, they look lovely in your ceramic bunny dish! Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)