Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blue and White Luncheon Table

Hi everyone!

I decided to create a small luncheon table using my vintage thrifted milk glass luncheon sets. Of course everything else on the table has been thrifted as well.

Blue & White Luncheon Table V

Pin It

I believe this set of  luncheon milk glass dishes are from the 1950’s and made by Indiana glass.

IMG_7996

About Milk Glass

The Beginning of Milk Glass
Milk glass originated in Venice in the 16th century. However, back then milk glass came in all different colours including yellow, brown, black, pink and blue. All of these colours still project a ‘milky’ color as the tone is thick and coated. Some of these colours still exist in milk glass, especially blue, but the opaque color remains the most popular.
Since the 16th century, milk glass has remained a popular collector’s item as well as a useful item around the house. However, most of the collectable milk glass of today dates back to the 1700’s or newer.
Although milk glass came from the 1500’s, the term ‘milk glass’ did not actually come into play until relatively recently. During the 19th century glass makers referred to milk glass as ‘opaque glass’ and was still considered a luxury item and a great collectable.

IMG_7998

The color combination of blue and white is such a classic. And then when you throw in silver, it all comes together wonderfully. I really need to go through all of my blue and white dishes. My eye naturally seems to be attracted to this color combo. Once I neatly organized all of my dishes, I was completely shocked at how much more blue and white dishes I had! I have at the very least, twice as much blue and white dishes as any other colors! I will be definitely editing down this collection over the next few months.

Have you noticed a predominate color in your dish collection?

IMG_7990

IMG_7993

I just had to add a touch of Spring to this simple lunch table! I think these little flower bowls were originally sold in a four piece set of four different colors. I found three at a thrift store years ago. One ended up breaking on me. so, I have these two left. I thought the two blues would add a fun pop of color to the table.

IMG_7989

I don’t know about you, but for whatever reason I am always attracted to vintage glassware that has different designs. I end up buying them even if I have nothing else in mind to go with them! I really liked these smoky blue vintage glasses. They came in a tumbler and an on the rocks glass. The white painted scene is of children exploring the outside. I think of these types of glasses as the glassware “toile”. LOL They tell a little story!

History of Toile

Toiles were originally produced in Ireland in the mid-18th Century and quickly became popular in Britain and France.The term, Toile de Jouy, originated in France in the late 18th century. In the French language, the phrase literally means "cloth from Jouy-en-Josas”, a town of north-central France

IMG_7992

Adding touches of silver can be as easy as adding your silverware and a simple little silver-plated candy dish. I bought a complete set of these little silver candy dishes, still in the box, at a flea market quite a few years ago. I paid one dollar for the box. They had never even been opened!

These kind of small dishes are fun to collect. Especially these silver ones because these stack nicely together and take up very little room. I pull these out often to use for Tea Bag Rests, Bone Dishes (a dish used to hold the bones from a meal), a Butter Pat Dish, a Dipping Sauce Dish or for something like Apple Sauce, Cut up Fruits or a Dish to set your Crudities on.

Crudites, don’t you love that word? So Fancy Schmancy. And so much prettier to say than cut up veggies! LOL

Crudités are traditional French appetizers consisting of sliced or whole raw vegetables which are sometimes dipped in a vinaigrette or other dipping sauce. Crudités often include celery sticks, carrot sticks, bell pepper strips, broccoli, cauliflower, fennel, and asparagus spears; sometimes olives, depending on local custom.

"Crudités" (plural) derives similarly as English "crude", in that both are ultimately from Latin "crūdus", meaning "raw", later "crūditās", meaning "undigested food", then French "crudité" (singular), for "uncooked food".

IMG_7988

I often will add a pot of coffee to the dinner table for Troy and I. I find that we both really enjoy this “after dinner” treat. We tend to take our time with our meal and then relax afterward and just spend some time talking to each other. It gives our systems time to digest our food and often times, much needed quiet time together.

Doesn’t it seem like we are all in such a hurry and have a tendency to rush through our meals? When I first started adding a pretty pot filled with coffee and cups at our dinner tables, I noticed both Troy and I relaxed and took our time with our meal and lingered after just talking. It’s nice. If you haven’t tried this with your spouse, give it a try one night. It doesn’t have to be coffee, it could be hot tea, hot chocolate or even hot cider.

IMG_7991

Another thing I had found brand new in the box while thrifting were these pretty white and blue ceramic napkin rings. I paid .99 cents for them and have loved them ever since!

A quick history of napkin rings. (also known as serviette rings)

An invention of early 19th century Europeans, napkin rings began as a practical matter of hygiene in households. Napkin rings signified personal napkins within the family so that laundering could be done once a week. More embellished napkin rings, like those in silver, were the result of the growing wealth of the middle class. By 1840 napkin rings were popular in all English-speaking countries.

As the middle class grew to show its wealth around the dinner table, so did the demand for refined table accessories. Engraved napkin rings became popular personal gifts for christenings and weddings. Americans have expanded the art of this table accessory, trademarking the figural napkin ring as an American specialty.

By the mid-20th century use of napkin rings rescinded with the advent of paper napkins. They have since been rediscovered as a table accessory for special occasions that signifies elegance and attention to detail.

I am just bursting with informational details today! LOL

Blue & white Luncheon Table H

Pin It

I love to learn facts and history of things that I enjoy.

I hope you enjoyed your visit today and maybe had fun learning something you might not have known.

Everyone thank you for stopping by and I hope you are having a wonderful day!

Follow me for more fun and thriftiness!

Bloglovin

The Thrifty Groove Facebook

Pinterest

Twitter

Google+

Hometalk

I’m joining:

Let’s Dish!

Home and Garden Thursday

Be Inspired Friday

Home Sweet Home

9 comments:

  1. Great post Diann. Love all the info you shared and of course the Blue and White table. I have the same set of luncheon plates and find myself adding blue to them when I use them also! Very pretty and Springy (even if you do have snow on the ground).
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!!
    I like to use those milk glass plates and cups in the winter with grilled cheese and tomato soup in the cups!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dishes. I have a set of the milk glass snack trays. LOVE! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely. Those blue napkins are such lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The detailing on the blue fabric napkins are beautiful. The whole table looks awesome! I love tableware!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed hearing about Milk Glass. Did not know these things. LOVE the blue and yellow flower bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tablescape. I love Indiana milk glass. I those luncheon milk glass sets. I thought they were from the 1970's, so that's neat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your luncheon set is beautiful! Love the color scheme! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)