Sunday, March 10, 2013

St. Patrick’s Day Wreath

Hi Friends!

I made a St. Patrick’s Day wreath for the door. I did not go out and purchase anything new to make the wreath. I just worked with what I already had and reused a few things. Such as the actual wreath.IMG_5413

I de-constructed my Valentine’s wreath and packaged up all the flowers I used so I can use them again for something else. I am glad that I do this because it really helps keeping cost down on future projects.

IMG_5415

I pulled out my bag of thrift store flowers to find some white flowers that I thought would look pretty.

IMG_5417

This bag held all the greenery and stems from the Valentine wreath flowers that I cut off. Never throw these away because there is too many things you can use them for.

IMG_5427

I snipped away all the stems so I could just use the greenery. All of the greenery was just poked into the wreath.

cats

Sometimes the leaf or flowers just pop off the wired stem. That’s any easy fix. Just use one of the cut of stems you have.

IMG_5425

Just start filling in the wreath with all your greenery. They don’t all have to be the same type of leaf. I think a variety of different leaves look pretty.

IMG_5426

Once it is filled in with greenery, start poking in flowers.

IMG_5460

I decided to use these pretty white flowers. There were 10 stems of them and all of them still had the original price tags of $2.99 each.

IMG_5461

Just poke away!

IMG_5428

My door is dark green so I knew I needed a light color around the edges to make the wreath stand out. I decided to create a lacy paper doily edging around the wreath. It reminds me of Irish Lace so, it’s appropriate for a St. Patrick’s Day wreath.

IMG_5429

IMG_5430

Fold doily in half and cut.

IMG_5434

Fold right sides together of the half pieces you cut. Stick a straight pin through it.

IMG_5431

IMG_5435

From the back you kind of want to pinch it so you can create a little fan-like look.

IMG_5437

Now you push the pin in and ring the outer edge of the wreath with all your half paper doilies. You want to overlap a little. You can stick more pins in anywhere you need to. When I worked at JoAnn Fabrics, whenever we made wreaths for our displays, we never used hot glue guns. Everything was done with straight pins. It is so much easy and no messy glue strings to deal with.

IMG_5436

Now you have a pretty while lacy edging.

IMG_5458

I wanted just a little bit of white peeking out of the center of the wreath as well. It helps give the wreath definition. So, I cut some of the already halved doilies into 1/4 pieces.

IMG_5457

That’s what it will look like from the back. Not pretty, but who is going to see it?

IMG_5462

Kind of simple but, pretty. I intentionally did not add a bow or little shamrocks to it. I wanted to use only things I had and I actually wanted it simple.

IMG_5463

Since I am joining Linda’s weekly party, Grateful Sunday, I wanted to add that I am grateful to make something special or pretty for our home without having to take away any extra money from our home budget. 

IMG_5464

Just a simple St. Patrick Day Wreath.

page

IMG_5465

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your visit!

I’m joining:

Mosaic Monday

Met Monday

20 comments:

  1. Diann I think this is one of the pretties wreaths! I guess I like that it's so simple and of course I love that you used just what you already had. The white 'lacy' edge is perfect! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use doilies! The wreath is beautiful--so fresh and Spring-y!

    Laura from sundayview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, very smart recycle! Love the green and white!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a pretty wreath using up things you already had. I was interested to read about doing everything with straight pins as I've always used my glue gun for wreaths. (and does it hurt on skin!)
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are creative! I love the wreath, beautifully done! Have a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea! A better way of changing a wreath...not so much to store. The lacey doilies really gave it a pretty touch! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty, and not just for the 17th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic idea to use the paper doilies for the pop of white. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my - that is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done. You are very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so pretty and I'm sure it can make an easy transition for St. Patrick's day to Easter. Love the 'lace' border!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty wreath, full of green charm. So fun to reuse things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the wreath and what you did with the doilies. Very creative.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty, and very Springy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice wreath and such a smart lady to keep and reuse!! I do the same thing and it always makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a talent you have. So pretty and spring like - thanks for sharing. I also keep all my little do-dads instead of tossing them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful. Sometimes simple is the prettiest and it is always elegant.
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diann,
    I absolutely LOVE this wreath!! Thanks so much for posting how to make it!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)