Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thrifty Things Friday #90

Hi friends!

happythumb

Wow! Welcome to the first TTF of 2013! I hope you all had a fun time welcoming in the new year!

thCA6886M7

Last summer the Dollar Tree came out with the bright colored dishes in lime green, bright yellow and fun orange. I thought they were perfect dishes for everyday use throughout the warm months so, I bought a set of 4 of each of the colors (as well as matching bowls). They also had the bright colored wine stems so, I purchased 4 of those as well.

IMG_3400

IMG_4277_thumb

Mixing and matching these basic solid summer colors with other thrifted dishes was so fun for Summertime tablescapes.

I shared with you one of my favorite Christmas gifts, a Value World GC and 50% off total purchase (see post here). Here is one of my thrifty treasure finds.

IMG_5017

I spotted this ice bucket at Value World, I thought it would be perfect for the summer tables! (50% off price was $1.31)

IMG_5020

I have several different ice buckets that I use all the time during the summer.

IMG_5023

Not only are they great for what they were intended for, ice but, they also make great “bowls” for cold salads. Think about it. What better way to take your pasta salad to a BBQ/get together than in an ice bucket? It has a lid to keep bugs away and it will stay colder a lot longer than if in a regular bowl! And it is easy to transport!

IMG_3382

Now, when you see those ice buckets at the thrift stores don’t automatically discard them and walk on pass!

IMG_5022

That was one of my fun purchases. I have many more to share!

I am joining Kathleen for Let's Dish!

Let’s see what thriftiness you are starting out with in 2013!

19 comments:

  1. WOW!!

    Great score and so summery- what a fun thing to look forward to using and knowing it will be here before we even know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Dollar Tree plates! I grabbed some too and am hoping they have them again this year so I can get more :-) Happy New Year Diann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see your thrifty purchases, Diann! I hope this New Year brings happiness...still praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that striped ice bucket - if the blue stripe was on the top, it would be identical to The Bay pattern (found on old point blankets dating waaaay back....) And it sure has been a long time since I've seen The Pop Shoppe drinks!

    Thanks for hosting Diann!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for hosting the first party of the new year, I'm so happy to be here! Great thrifty purchases, you did great! I love the pretty dishes and that bucket! May you have a wonderful 2013.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for hosting all the parties in 2012, I have really had fun joining in! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't believe those cute plates are from the Dollar Store! I'd better check mine out. Love your clever idea for using the ice bucket for cold salads, super! Thanks for hosting. Glad to be joining in with my table. :) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty! I think new dishes cheer you up. I'm putting them on my wish list for this year! Sweet hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diann the ice bucket looks perfect with those dishes and wine glasses! Love it and never thought about taking cold salads in one! As always great advice!

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun is that?! Who'd guess from the dollar store! Summer's around the corner...I hope. Love the bright sunny colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. True treasures. I've been known to use ice buckets as my centerpiece, filled with flowers. Wonderful colors here for playing with dishes....speaking of dishes...love the DT find. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great treasures! I love using them as centerpieces. Thanks for sharing and swinging in to say hello. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Diann, I want to join in, but I don't see any place to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a clever idea to use an ice bucket for summer salads!! Awesome! I love that your striped bucket matches your stemware :) I am hoping to play along but I was sick over Christmas and didn't get out - EVEN ONCE- gahhhh! to thrift! Maybe tomorrow. All the best, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea for using the ice bucket! Happy New Year and Thanks for Hosting the First Party of 2013!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found your blog through A Vintage Green and it's great. Thanks for hosting, I'm new to blogging and this is such a great way to get people to my blog so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself ;-)

    I'm now following you!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yea, I can finally see all the links!! Hooray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope March arrives quickly, then I know the end is near!
    Great finds!
    Thanks for linking to Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)