Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Embrace the Winter Months and Be a Homebody

Hi friends!

So, here we are mid to late January. We have put away all of our Christmas decorations, the weather is cold and sometimes bitter and it’s time to spend a little time taking advantage of this winter. It’s time for a little “Homebodiness”. Yes, I just made that up.

It is the perfect time of the year to just relax and spend time enjoying your home. Whether you work outside the home, work from home or don't have a job, you can still take advantage of this winter. Not a lot is going on and the weather is cold. It’s time to enjoy being a homebody.

thCATI3XMX

Getting Back to Basics for me includes enjoying each moment for what it is. Finding joy in the simplest things. Especially my home. Our home is our retreat, our safety and our hearts.

I am trying to view things a bit differently this year. I have a lot of things going on as do most of us but, I have a tendency to rush through life. I always feel like I am behind on everything. “Catching up” is always been my goal. I constantly think I have to be doing a 100 things at one time. Guess what I discovered? You NEVER catch up. Everyday offers new things, ideas, adventures. Everyday things change. So, how can I possibly catch up if everything constantly changes? I can’t. Wow, what a concept!

So, what are some homebody activities?

  • Read some of your favorite magazines (remember, you don’t have to buy magazines, you can check them out at the library)
  • Cuddle up with a warm quilt and watch a movie or two
  • Actually iron those items in your closet you haven’t worn because they need to be ironed.
  • Experiment with a new recipe
  • Play a game with the family or invite friends over for a game night.
  • Send a card (via snail mail) to a friend or family member for no reason.
  • Tackle a closet you have been meaning to clean and reorganize.
  • Give your home a really good deep dusting.
  • Wash your curtains and throw pillows to refresh them.
  • Read a book out loud to your child or revisit a childhood book just to make you smile.
  • Buy yourself a small bouquet of grocery store flowers.
  • Bundle up and take a walk in the snow.
  • Sew on those buttons you have been putting off doing.
  • Set a pretty dinner table, not for a blog post, just to surprise your family.
  • Cut up those stained of filled with holes cotton clothes or towels and make a bag of rags.
  • Light a candle you have been “saving”.
  • Polish your silver pieces and enjoy the sparkle of them.
  • Clean your hair brushes and combs (through the hair outside for the birds to use for nests).
  • Give yourself a facial.
  • Clean out the inside of your refrigerator and get rid of bad/expired foods.
  • Listen to a book on tape.
  • Go through all your plastic containers and throw out the extra lids or the bowls without lids.
  • Polish your toenails.

There are so many things that we keep meaning to do but, never seem to have the time. Pick one or two of those things and do them once a week during these cold and often dreary days.

Remember, doing what we often refer to as a dreaded chore can give us a sense of accomplishment and that always makes us feel better. And doing something just for yourself also feeds your heart and soul.

When we do accomplish something, regardless of how small or even if anyone else notices, we get a sense of pride and “job well done”. It makes us feel better and when we feel better our families feel better.

I know when I feel happy myself whether be because I finished a project/chore or just happy because I watched a silly movie and am still smiling, Troy feels that as well. And children really feel it. It touches our whole family. 

So, take this time of the year to embrace being a homebody and really bless yourself and your family!

16 comments:

  1. That's a great list - if we could just really take the time and do those things... I did sew some buttons on a sweater that has been waiting for at least 5 days for some attention...

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Diann! I am such a homebody anyway! I love just being home and enjoying so many of the things on your list!! I need to read some magazines so I think I'll get off the computer an do that! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this wonderful list and will jot these down in my journal tonight. I love baking on a cold winter day with some great music in the background. And sewing and crafting or gathering ideas from magazines for projects. I love my days at home, too! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DiAnn,
    I am a Homebody no matter what season it is. I love being Home and working around my Home. My Home is my passion and my haven and I enjoy just being Home!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. really great post! I am using my local library taking out Downton Abby season 1&2 and yes those magazines I don't get.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a pleasure it would be to stay home and be a homebody! Off to work I go at 6:30a.m. I sit by three big garage doors that the hi-lo drivers go in and out of all day and I unload trucks at these big doors that face the cold north side. By 3:30p.m. when I am finished (if I am lucky) I am so cold!! When I finally get home, I don't leave. I would love to stay home and just do my ebay business. Maybe in a couple more years. I know I am fortunate to have a job in these times though. Fifteen years with the Bus building company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie,you will certainly enjoy retirement when it happens,after doing such a job as yours. Believe me it will be bliss. well I found it is anyway after a very stressful job. Stay warm x

      Delete
  7. I am a homebody after many years working. There is nothing better. I love pottering around the home,doing whatever I please and when it pleases me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diann, thank you for your inspiring words. I am recently unemployed and though I try to stay busy, searching for a job and catching up on projects, I tend to forget to enjoy the time and sometimes it gets me down. Thank you for this reminder. :0)

    God bless and keep you,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list, Diann. Several of them I really should do. I love being home, whenever the opportunity presents itself. Today I spent MANY hours by the fireplace! Sooooo cold outside. Take care, Diann. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore being at home, and I do most of your list when winter rolls along. :)

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post....I so love the peaceful winter days as there is always so much to get accomplished. I'm trying really hard to slow down and enjoy "the moments". :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome list and much needed for most of us I am sure! I have to remind myself a lot to slow down and smell the roses! The Book 1000 gifts has really helped me to be so thankful for even the mundane things in life. But I love the idea about setting your table just to surprise your family. thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a real homebody, I love hunkering down in the winter months and getting things done even if it is cleaning and magazines. I love comfort food during this time.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love my house best at this time of year...I'd love to just take off work for two weeks and go right down your list ! Great post ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still work full time and although I am grateful for my job I would love to be in a position to be home. I love begin home and my favorite thing is doing the laundry. Many years ago I found it was a quiet place to visit with the Lord. I still do it today although my kids are growen! My hubby wants me to buy him breakfast because I got paid yesterday and we have Denny's coupons! Always fun to save one a meal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)