Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Let’s go to Italy!

Hi everyone!

Wouldn’t that be awesome if we could all get together and go to Italy for a few days! I wonder how thrifting is in Italy? Sure would be fun to find out!

Since I don’t see that happening, lets just pretend we are on the Island of Capri.

This is one of my dream vacations! Okay, so close your eyes and transport yourself to this beautiful location.

Let’s sit down and have something to eat and drink.

In fresh Caprese cuisine, the past and present live together, in proper proportions. To honor a culinary culture that has made simplicity its forte with that "simplicity that is hard to get", of course. Source

What better treat than an Insalata Caprese

IMG_4066

IMG_4067-tile

A Caprese Salad is one of the most simple salads with wonderful clean flavors. When making one of these beautiful salads, using gorgeous heirloom tomatoes makes it all the more stunning. I was blessed with these fabulous heirloom tomatoes from my friend Katie. She specializes in growing these beauties. I will be doing a post about Katie and her husband Christian and their business soon. I know none of us want to think about next Spring yet but, you are going to want to keep them in mind when you start planting next year because she sells seeds (online) for these stunning and amazing tasting tomatoes! 
IMG_4084

Making a Caprese Salad is very simple.

  1. Slice tomatoes and mozzarella cheese and layer between the two.
  2. Add fresh leaves of Basil
  3. Drizzle with olive oil
  4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
  5. Drizzle with vinegar (optional)

Most people seem to like balsamic vinegar, I do too. But, we just finished a batch of Basil vinegar and I used that. Oh you would not believe the amazing smell of Basil in our kitchen when I made this salad! Divine!

IMG_4072

Limoncello (Italian pronunciation: [limonˈtʃɛllo]) is an Italian lemon liqueur mainly produced in Southern Italy, especially in the region around the Gulf of Naples, the Sorrentine Peninsula and the coast of Amalfi and islands of Procida, Ischia and Capri. It is also produced in Sicily, Sardinia, Menton in France, and the Maltese island of Gozo. Though there is debate about the exact origin of the drink, it is at least one hundred years old. Source

IMG_4073

Add some simple grapes and you have the perfect light lunch.

IMG_4077

IMG_4070

IMG_4071

I just picked up this basket for .95 cents at a thrift store. I love it!

IMG_4074

After our lunch we can sit and enjoy some Espresso.

IMG_4076

IMG_4086

page

IMG_4087

I thought these were the perfect dishes to use for our lunch. They have a wonderful regional  feel to them.

IMG_4083

I’m so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoyed a little Italian getaway with me!

I’m joining:

Let’s Dish!

Foodie Friday

Home Sweet Home

Feathered Nest Friday

Tickled Pink

27 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. It just so happens that this very week hubs and I have decided to spend our next anniversary in Italy - Sept 2013 - and are making the plans as I write this!

    Your inspirational post was well timed, and delicious and wonderful- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you. I love Sorrento and over the hill to the Amalfi Coast. Next time back, I hope to spend some time on Capri. Sweet Mister actually went diving in the Blue Grotto many years ago. ...no longer allowed. Your beautiful Italian repast brings back special memories. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so blessed to get to go to Italy just a few months ago, and this is just perfect! You make me want to go make this salad!

    And by the way, I didn't see any "thrift" type stores in Italy. A few outdoor markets came close, but not what we are used to.

    Thanks for the pretty photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmy one of my favorite salads and it all looks so inviting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything you do looks gorgeous - I am always amazed with every one of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I want to go with you Diann!! Everything looks so delicious. What a fun post.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I think Italy sounds wonderful. This would be a lovely lunch and those plates are perfect! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. and yeah - if you find an awesome deal to Italy for a group rate, count us in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous post! I love all things Italian; and this setting is just lovely. The Williams-Sonoma dishes are the perfect accent. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's my dreams to go to Italy some day! I love these gorgeous dishes and all of your touches of Italy! Enjoy your afternoon, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT getaway. Loved the Caprese Salad. Never had Limoncello. Sounds good. LOVELY plates. Enjoyed italy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Father was born in Sicily and he took
    us to several times to cities there and Italy.. but
    as a teen I did not appreciate the visits..
    My Bucket list has only one thing, to get
    to the Almafi Coast.??
    Lovely Post
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for taking us along! I had a great time. :) The salad looks DELICIOUS!!! I am definetly trying that, thanks!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your dishes! Too bad I don't like raw tomatoes but I know tomato lovers would enjoy what you presented.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Diann...I would LOVE to go to Italy. Your salad looks "delicioso." I love tomatoes with mozzarella. Okay, well, let's book a flight to Rome! Arrividerci! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Insalata Caprese.. so much. I just about live on it in the summer. Your dishes are soo pretty. Thank you for taking us to Capri! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this post. I love Limoncello and all the food looks so good. I always loved those dishes from Williams Sonoma.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so loved this quick trip with you and love the Insalata Caprese. I am a lover of basil and balsamic so a perfect dish for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diann, the dishes paired with your yummy salad are wonderful. My husband and his family took me to Italy. It was when we first met and they barely ate and never shopped so I remind him all the time that I am owed another trip to Italy. Visiting from Let's Dish, Olive

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty post. I love Caprese salad and grow my own tomatoes, but never have grown the pale yellow. Must try next year, they look so pretty on the platter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love a Caprese Salad, and am making homemade Limoncello this weekend. Found the recipe in the Rachel Ray magazine. Your plates are beautiful! Visiting from Let's Dish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love those plates! What a pretty table looks like a wonderful lunch! Neat napkin rings! Thanks for linking to Let's Dish!
    Wish I liked tomatoes, they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUM YUM I WANT THAT SALAD RIGHT NOW :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. love those colourful tomatoes...though never seen them here...have actually seen and tasted zebra tomatoes first time this summer and they are lovely.. i am maltese and yes we do have a very good limoncello on the island..theres always a bottle in our fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the plates, so cool. And that salad looks so darned good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pretty plates! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  27. We were supposed to leave day after tomorrow Sept 2, to spend several weeks in Italy with my 60th birthday in Rome. Unfortunately my husband became very ill 2 months ago, has been in and out of the hospital and had surgery last week so we had to cancel our trip. Of courswe, I am happy to be anywhere as long as it is with My Baby. Our daughter and sil stepped up to the plate and have gifted us with their timeshare in Orlando so we will stay there and take some day trips. But your lovely Italy blog has made me think- we can find a nice Italian restaurant and have dinner there with the Lemoncello- a favorite! ...and all the trimmings. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)