Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Quiet Tea Lunch

Hi everyone!

I’m home! We got home very late last night. As much as I love being at our trailer and cabin, nothing beats sleeping in your regular bed!

While “Up North”, which is what people in Michigan say who live “Down Below” when they are heading to their cabin in Northern Michigan. Not to be confused with saying “We are heading to the U.P.” meaning the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. And no Michigander actually says the words upper peninsula. Anyway, while up north, Troy and the princess took off to do some fishing one afternoon. So, I grabbed some magazines that I had wanted to read while we were at the cabin and fixed myself some tea and lunch.

IMG_2475

I dragged one of the old thrifted aqua blue metal chairs over to a recently fallen tree.

IMG_2476

I decided to use the fallen tree as my table. And I could easily prop my feet up when I read my magazine. Ahh, now this is the life!

IMG_2477

It was such a beautiful sunny day! It wasn’t hot and humid, just perfect temperature and the sun shining.

IMG_2494

An egg salad sandwich and chips. A perfect little lunch.

IMG_2480

Troy had made a yummy pineapple upside down cake outside in the cast iron dutch oven.

IMG_2486

When you bake a cake in the dutch oven, it is more of a spongy cake because you keep the lid on it and it steams. It is sooooooo good!

Troy’s pineapple upside down cake in the cast iron dutch oven recipe:

First step is to get 30 pieces of charcoal going. You want them ready for the cast iron dutch oven when they are all grey.

  • Melt 1 stick of butter with 1/2 a cup of brown sugar (inside dutch oven)
  • Place pineapple ring to cover the bottom of the dutch oven (on top of the melted butter & sugar)
  • place maraschino cherries inside each ring
  • in a bowl, mix one yellow cake mix, the juice from the pineapple rings, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and 2 eggs. Just mix with a spoon (this will make the cake a bit denser instead of lighter when you use a mixer).
  • Pour batter over pineapple.
  • Put lid on dutch oven.
  • Place 20 hot coals down and place the dutch oven on top of them (we generally just do it inside the grill)
  • Place the remaining 10 hot coals on top.
  • Depending on your altitude and the temperature outside when you bake the cake, it should take between 30-45 minutes to completely bake. After about 30 minutes, check it to see how done it is. Usually the cake is done when the coals are basically all ash.  

We use a pair of old pliers to lift the lid with the charcoal on it up to check.

IMG_2488

See that cute little vintage salt & pepper and jam/mustard jar set? I just picked that up at a Barn Sale. It can be so hard to find all the pieces intact for these types of sets.

IMG_2489

This is a new to me (also vintage) teacup set.

IMG_2490IMG_2492This is the kind of “time out” I wish someone would tell me I had to take on a regular basis. Kids just don’t realize how good they have it! How many times have you thought, “I wish someone would tell me to go to my room!” So, I’m telling y’all “ It is time for YOU to take a time out!”

IMG_2496

IMG_2497

Go and enjoy some tea and lunch with Mother Nature the first chance you get! I hope you all have a great day!

I’m joining:

Blue Monday

Tea Time Tuesday

Table Top Tuesday

Tuesday Cuppa Tea

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Cozy Home Scenes

Let’s Dish!

What's it Wednesday?


Foodie Friday

48 comments:

  1. This looks like a great time out! Love the teacup and yummy cake! So glad you could have a few relaxing moments...I know they few and far between with a active girl child! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a perfect setting for relaxing. You've made a very inviting spot in nature. LOVE IT! I really love EVERYTHING but I have my eye on that cute little s&p,jam jar set. I like that recipe too. Thank you for sharing!
    Have a wonderful week,
    Big Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful and perfect spot for a tea lunch....amongst the birds, with fresh air and a fallen tree table, how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful setting for a yummy lunch. Nothing beats Michigan get-aways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely lovely i want a time out there

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to take a time out "up north"...since I'm close to the IN/MI state line that leaves a lot of "Up North"...lol..
    ~~Blessings~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the perfect spot for a relaxing break. Lunch, tea and that yummy looking cake, how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband loves pineapple upside down cake!!!! I can't wait to try your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We often make upside down cakes in the dutch oven when camping. They are so good! I love your little quiet place for tea. We had a perfect summer weekend at the camper this past weekend. Now I should be all rested up for a busy week ahead. Hope your Monday is a happy one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How Fun! The new trio set matches your teapot nicely. Glad you are relaxing, and enjoying your hubby's baking. That is something my husband would make, he loves to cook over the open fire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the most relaxing tea atmosphere I have seen in years. That is what it is all about. I wish I were there with you. Then it wouldn't work for you cuz I would be asking a gazillion questions about all your treasures and such. Better you had this awesome natural setting to yourself for a well earned respite.
    Thanks for sharing.
    xo
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that blue Chair, and the food looks pretty good too.

    Happy Blue Monday, Diann! Be sure to check out my Kindle Fire giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delightful place for a little lunch time-out!! I think I'd have to leave the fallen tree (or at least a part of it) just where it is to be my table anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the setting. Picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness...what a delightful little lunch you had for yourself! Love it!!!! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is always nice to travel or visit, but there is no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a nice place to sit and relax and great use of a fallen tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with you...that IS the life! It looks absolutely perfect to me. I love your new finds, too. Thanks for the upside down cake recipe. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy!

    Visiting from Blue Monday. Here is my BLUE post. Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You found a spectacular place for your lunch. The fallen tree is perfect for your table and you could enjoy nature as you relaxed.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds lovely! A magazine, a beautiful outdoor spot, and THAT CAKE. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cute tea, and so original! What a lovely place to relax. The cake looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Diann,
    Troy made a delicious looking cake! My hubby has never baked anything in his life. Hmm, I must try to change that! My mother used make upside down pineapple cake a lot when I was growing up but never on the grill. How good it must taste. Eating outdoors with a sandwich and a cup of tea must be lovely.
    I am glad your mother is able to enjoy her yellow rose! It's a very sweet jesture and she appreciates the thought every year too, I'm sure. Thank you for sharing your picnic tea and your yellow rose story with me. Hope you have a fabulous week, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely spot to have lunch! Love the cup and saucer...so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yummy lunch. I love pineapple upside down cake..

    Visiting for Blue Monday- hope you can stop by:)

    http://dsahmblogs.com/2012/06/summer-babies-are-here.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing... Connie

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an idyllic rustic tea. Perfect! You must have had a wonderful time. We used to camp often when our kids were growing up and upside down cake was a favorite...and worked well over a camp stove or camp fire. Cool! Thanks for sharing your lazy summer tea and linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  28. Going away makes it extra nice to come home. Lovely place you have arranged for your tea time. I like your cup of tea. I wish you a great week! Zinnia

    ReplyDelete
  29. That truly is the life, however, an important part of a healthy life! We all need to take time out more often. Love the aqua metal chair!
    Thanks for stopping by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like you had yourself a wonderful "time out"! And now I am hungry for some egg salad sandwhich and chips! Thanks for stopping by!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  31. That looks like such an inviting place to take a time out!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love how you used the fallen log for a table! It looks so lovely and the aqua chair is a wonderful pop of color :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a perfect place to have tea outside in nature!
    So inspiring! And the pineapple cake... yummy... also very inspiring!!!
    Thanks for visiting and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are living the good life! Love the aqua blue metal chair and nature's table!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I was excited to hear of your vaca in the UP.
    My inlaws have a beautiful log cabin in the Soo
    and we were there just before winter set in
    and it's simply beautiful...
    Also, thank you so much for your sweet comments
    on my "Master Closet" and for your liking it as
    much as I do... featuring it!
    I still walk in there each day and can't believe
    I did that all by myself!
    Thanks again
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  36. This looks like a relaxing picnic and the cake looks delish! Wish I'd been there to enjoy it with you. Thanks for linking up to Your Cozy Home Party. You're welcome to also add this post to the Grill, BBQ, & Picnic Party next week. We'd love to see you then!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a wonderful place to relax...you had the perfect afternoon lunch and that cake looks delish!! Thank You for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful night!

    (hugs)
    Aledia @ Plum Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a delightful spot to pull up a chair and have lunch! Love your vintage teacup set!

    ReplyDelete
  39. OH I so need a time out. And just 30 coals bake a cake? So cool. Your time out area is perfect.. the sounds of nature, a good magazine, good food and a comfy chair.. have a great week. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm glad you had some time to yourself and a great place to relax. Love the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This really does look like a great way to spend the afternoon:@)

    ReplyDelete
  42. A picnic for one on a fallen tree. That just sounds like a perfect thing to do in the perfect setting. I just love the whole idea of it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Although I imposed many time outs while I taught for 33 years, I never had one myself till I retired! After dh got sick. I worked 3 jobs to keep afloat. Time out, never!
    Love your tea on a tree limb! Very pretty!
    Thanks for linking to Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ool I love the setting. Nothing beats having tea in the midst of nature. The upside down cake looks soooo good! ...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a beautiful setting to enjoy that delicious looking cake...

    ReplyDelete
  46. Delightful little woodland setting. Love it! And the turquoise chair is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I am SO envious of you! I only dream about time to look through magazines! This is such a pretty setting for the wonderful treasures you have found and the perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)