Sunday, April 1, 2012

Improvising

Hi everyone!

Being The Thrifty Groove, I really try to keep the cost of things I play with down to the lowest price I can. A big part of that is using things around the house when I do little projects.

IMG_1334

Awhile back I bought this cute little metal container at a thrift store for $1.29. I knew I wanted to use it for a Spring centerpiece kind of thing. So, I scrounged through my flowers and little doodads to decided what I wanted to use in this container.

While looking through my stuff I realized I didn’t have any floral foam or styrofoam to use for the flowers. So, I looked around the house for other options.

IMG_1337

Hey, a styrofoam carry-out container will work just fine!

IMG_1338

All cleaned and now can be cut to what size I need. You could use a styro egg carton, cups or any other thing that can be put in the bottom and used to hold stems. Nobody is going to see this part, so use whatever works for you.

IMG_1339

Now I wanted to have a couple of my little white birds peeking out of the flowers. So, I grabbed a couple of ramekins to use as their stand and placed them on top of the styro.

IMG_1340

And then start poking in the floral stems.

IMG_1341

I know pansies and Gerber Daisies are not Spring time flowers but, I just love them for their bright cheerfulness!

IMG_1342

Peek-a-boo!

IMG_1343

The little birds are all nestled on their little perches.

IMG_1344

They are happy little birds!

IMG_1346IMG_1345

IMG_1347

IMG_1348

IMG_1349

Just a fun little spot of Spring.

So, don’t forget to just use things around your home instead of buying something. If nobody can see it, go ahead and get thrifty creative!

Pin It

I’m joining:

Seasonal Sunday

Metamorphosis Monday

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Wow us Wednesday
Works For Me Wednesday

 

14 comments:

  1. That is a lovely spring flower arrangement. I never thought to use the styrofoam egg cartons , but you are so right they would work beautifully. Hope I never get to old to learn new things and this is my new thing for today. Hope your Sunday is a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great when you're able to do that? Your arrangement turned out great! Love the container and $1.29 is my kinda price!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, cute arrangement, love the flowers and the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a brilliant idea to use cartons for your floral base - wow - honestly genius!

    As for your centerpiece- it is AWESOME - I love your purple and yellow together and it is just perfectly put together!!!

    And as for pansies, they are definately a spring flower! Mine are just now coming up - in fact they hate the heat and sometimes within in the summer - so you def have a spring look going, ma'am!!!!

    WELL DONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful arrangement! All the better that it's a thrifty one. Been working in the garden this morning, and I'm sad that my pansies and viola are just about gone. Getting too warm for them now.
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. So thrifty and pretty! Love the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous display. I love your thrifty creativeness too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a cute centerpiece. Love that you figured out something else to use instead of floral foam!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once upon a time Floral Design was my thing. Love this sweet arrangement you've made. It's the perfect centerpiece. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done girl! Love your chicks! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is really beautiful, Diann! Great work, Mrs. Creative!
    Happy Easter!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet arrangement! Love the little birdies peeking out. Great tip to shop the house for supplies. We often do have things that will work in different ways if we just open our minds to the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the yellow flowers and how you added birds into the basket. Truly adorable.

    -zane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)