Friday, September 24, 2010

Back to Reality!

Hi everyone!

Well, we are home. Wow, those 3 days flew by! But, they were the most relaxing 3 days I have had in a very long time!

I have spent the morning reading all of the comments you guys have left me over the last 3 days. All of them have brought me a huge smile today! You guys really do rock!! I promise over the next few days, I will be dropping by and catching up with each of you.

I thought I would tell you a little about our cabin. My grandpa bought the 40 acres back in 1962. It is a chunk of forested land with, at the time, no access to it. The first thing he did was create a road to it. Fortunately, nearby, there was a small rutted lane that was used for the power company to get to their power lines. There was no power (electric) into the wooded 40 acres but, it was a start to build the road.

After almost 50 years, the drive back into the cabin is still just a small two lane rutted road. And to be honest, we like it that way.





In 1964 my grandparents and my parents started building a cabin. Needless to say, it was built out of the trees they cleared. All other building material such as windows, doors, flooring and ceiling were things they scavenged or traded for.





Over the years, the cabin has changed through add-ons here and there. Plumbing was added sometime in the 70's. Yes, we had an outhouse and an old fashion pump inside. The pump and the outhouse are still there. The pump was moved out to the fish cleaning area and the outhouse well, is still right were it was. We also got electricity sometime in the 70's. That was pretty exciting. My grandpa had to pay quite a pretty penny back then to have the electrical company come out that far.




Our cabin is not a cottage. It is not a cute little log cabin. It is a getaway, fishing and hunting cabin. I can tell you, that any one who has ever visited our cabin and stayed one night, never wants to leave!





When my grandparents died, the cabin was willed to my parents. My grandparents are still at the cabin in spirit. I feel them every time I go there. I see parts of them everywhere I look. I hear my grandpa saying, "You know, Diann still holds the record for the biggest blue gill caught at the cabin!" And watching my grandma prepare breakfast of fried pork chops, pan gravy and homemade biscuits and arguing with grandpa about his snoring the night before. All of it, total comfort and peace to me.



I remember when, after we cleared all the dinner dishes, my mom, grandma and I heading down to the meadow right before sunset to find a good spot to sit and watch all the deer and elk come in to graze. Of course, I also remember, the night we sat right in between a rutting bull elk and a herd of females. Listening to his call to the females and hearing my grandma call back to him! Okay, we ended up hightailing it back to the cabin after we heard him move our way! Don't ask. My grandma was fearless! LOL



This is just a small smidgen of my memories of our cabin. It is a sanctuary. A total and complete getaway from the real world. A place to rejuvenate and let go of everyday frustrations.



This is, without doubt, my most favorite place on earth. It is also the most beautiful slice of heaven on earth to me. And I was was just tickled pink to spend some time there! So, it only makes sense to share this post at three wonderful parties!

Don't forget about.....

burglerMy month long “Steal Diann’s Thrift Finds” giveaway!



A Few of My Favorite Things



Friday~~Finding Beauty



Tickled Pink



25 comments:

  1. Diann, it sounds like pure heaven. How blessedf you are to still have that wonderful treasure from your grandparents. I'll bet the Princess just loved it!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would take a night at a place like that over a night at any five star hotel. I'm glad you had the chance to spend the time there with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds like heaven here on earth. Such fabulous and precious memories. I am so glad you had time to relax and enjoy. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place! We used to rent a cabin on a lake and I loved it. It wasn't as nice as your's as it was also a hunting cabin. But talk about peaceful,...
    Glad you were able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I thought I have a little piece of heaven here Diann!
    I loved the story behind your piece of heaven. It sure does look like a perfect place to relax. Love the idea of the deer grazing and your gram and grandpa still hold a special place in your heart.
    Glad you had such a fab and relaxing time with hubby.
    Happy FFB & Tickled Pink Day
    Love Claudie
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful family getaway...these are the best kind...so many great memories and still adding more!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. How special to have such a retreat passed down through the generations. Thanks for sharing this beautiful spot with us. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your wonderful retreat. It is great that you have so many memories attached.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it certainly sounds like you have your own slice of heaven right here on earth. So full of memories and, with each new generation adding their own touch and crreating more memories. It looks and sounds like a wonderful place.

    Thank you for sharing it with us! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks very relaxing. i can see why you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Memories! We had a place like that when I was little. The cabin is still in the family but I haven't been there in 45 years. You made me smile and remember all the fun we had.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How special! I'm happy for you, being able to spend some time there relaxing and enjoying the moment:@)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great get away place, Diann. If I went there, I would never leave either. It's a perfect setting to just hang out and relax. How lucky for you for it to be in your family....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful slice of heaven indeed! Love the memories you have and how you are now making new memories with the Princess! You sound relaxed and rejuvenated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures. So glad you had time away.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diann - that is so great! I love where we live - we have a long lane that hides our house from view - and even when we can't go on vacation, it feels like we've still been able to 'get away from it all' every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful place! It does sound heavenly. So glad you had the chance to rest and relax as a family in this, your special place.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like the best 3 days you have had in a long while, Diann! Glad that you are back, though

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diann...sounds like a delightful time! Glad you were able to get away....even if it was only for 3 days :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a super place to have for your family to enjoy, I enjoyed reading about your memories of visiting there with your parents & granparents.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow what a beautiful place and all those memories!! Family places are so wonderful! Before my great-grandma passed we had a family farm and the memories of my childhood are precious! Your paint a beautiful picture of the times you spent with your family and continue to make!! Happy Weekend!

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Diann, it looks like such a wonderful place to go. Love that big screened area! I can just imagine relaxing out there. I'm sure your memories of your grandparents made it even better. I'm so glad it stayed in the family. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved reading that! What wonderful memories. Sometimes the simple things are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoyed the pics and I love the screened porch.

    tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds just simply magical and amazing. I got goosebumps a few times while reading this...it tickles me pink...thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)