Sunday, January 24, 2010

Homemade Thrifty Valentine Ornaments

Well, I have been posting "Thrifty Valentine Ideas" for the last couple of weeks. I told you all that I was decorating for Valentine's day as thrifty as I can. I have a 2 year old and she just loves to see fun decorations. So, we are talking homemade crafts not fancy schmancy decorations.

I left the skinny tree we had in the dining room up and have made little fun things to fill the tree. I used stuff that I had. I scoured through all my scrap booking things and other craft items. With the exception of buying some conversation candy hearts from the dollar store, I have bought nothing else for Valentine decorating.



I made some cone ornaments from card stock and scrapbook paper. And I also used some card stock to make just basic fans. I embellished with whatever I had on hand. While I was making them I kept thinking, oh, maybe I will just run to JoAnns for some lace or Michael's for some other doodads to add. I am proud to say, I did NOT leave the house when I made all these! Woohoo, resisted the temptation of "getting more stuff"!! LOL

Just a little thrifty side note. When you get all your junk mail, keep an eye out for those ads that are printed on one side using different colored paper. They can stand in as scrapbook paper. Also they are great to shred when you want some colored shredded paper.


I had some shimmery Valentine color tissue paper that I bought last year after Valentines day for pennies. I just cut each sheet into about 6 pieces and stuffed them in the cones. And I crinkled some more up and just tucked it into the tree here and there.It actually looks really pretty with the little white lights on.

You will notice I used different ribbons. I used bits and pieces that I had stashed. You could use curling ribbon that you have leftover from Christmas if you wanted to.

I cut out some little hearts and laced them together with ribbon and put little rhinestone hearts on them.

Big confession here, I didn't use any glue on the paper ornaments. I taped everything. The little princess was very interested in what I was doing and was wanting to play with verything. It just wasn't worth having the hot glue out.

The little tin candy buckets I made last week. Here is the post for that.

So, just make it a thrifty holiday and scrounge through all the stuff you have around your house. Make it a game to see just how little money you can spend. And have fun!

Here are some up close pics:








I'm linking up with:

Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday

Shades of Pink for Room a Month Makeover

Skip to My Lou for Made By You Monday

The Girl Creative for Just Something I Whipped up Monday

The Persimmon Perch for Made it Mondays

Making the World Cuter for Making the World Cuter Mondays

Cottage Instincts for Make it for Monday

It's so very Cheri for It's So Very Creative
Wow, there are a lot of Monday craft parties! Have fun visiting them. There are always great and fun ideas being posted!!



Subscribe to The Thrifty Groove by Email

13 comments:

  1. Lovely and unique ornaments for V-day...we all have snippets of things around the house to use to make these too. Great ideas! (and *you* have been busy too!)

    Glad you could Mi4M...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH for you! It all looks so wonderful and NO NEW STUFF brought into your home. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree is so cute and I love the little buckets you made the other day. Very proud of you for using what you have. I am trying to break the I'll just run out and buy it mode and change to a let's see what I have at home FIRST! You are always inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a Valentine tree! It's very pretty and your ornaments are all works of "heart" Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! What a great idea for a mosaic. Very inspiring for Valentine's Day. Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute..you are ready for Valentine's Day for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tree! You're all set for Valentine's Day! I am so last minute, always a rush!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! That is great encouragement for us and your results are just the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so cute!So many great ways of decorating for Valentines! You are very creative! Hope you have a great week, Sherri : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun idea to decorate the tree! Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

    ReplyDelete
  12. These ornaments are awesome! So proud of you for sticking to your plan of not spending more! I shall adopt this attitude for myself in many things!

    Thanks so much for sharing and linking up with Make-Do Mondays. I love seeing everyones ideas.

    Come back and visit soon.

    Thanks,

    Shari
    Make-Do Mondays @ Practically Perfect Life

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)