Friday, September 4, 2009

The Last Big Yard Sale Weekend!


I love yard sales and fundraiser type rummage sales. I didn't hit as many as I would have liked to this summer because we had a very busy summer. This weekend will be the last big yard sale weekend of the season.

I though I would check out what yard sales and other rummage sales were going on in our area. I am seeing quite a few of the "Mom-2-Mom" sales happening this weekend and several local churches are have rummage sales. Not a lot of individual yard sales in our area. It seems SE Michigan uses this last weekend of summer to have one more out of town trip. However, other areas and states seem to be loaded with yard sales ads.

Now is the time to for look for some great bargains of Holiday decorations, kids clothes and think Halloween costumes while you are out and about.

And if you are like me, a major reader, this is a great time to stock up on your winter reading supply!

I also look for Christmas gifts. No, not because I am a major tightwad but, there are a few things that I know that are actually better second hand. An example, my mom absolutely LOVES old cookbooks. And if they have hand written notes on the pages, even better! And people buy for me second hand all the time. I collect teacups and saucers. I don't want any new ones bought at a department store. I like the old ones that have been around for ages.

So, make a gift giving list and have it tucked away in your purse and go over it from time to time while you are out at yard sales. You might find the perfect treasure for someone else!

And start your weekend off by reading these blog entries for Friday:

Hooked on Houses - "Hooked on Fridays"
Life as Mom - "Frugal Fridays"
Finer Things in Life -"Finer Things Fridays"



Subscribe to The Thrifty Groove by Email

3 comments:

  1. I love old teacups and saucers, too!

    :)

    Stop by and visit me over at Free 2 Be Frugal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picking up books at yard sales is a big favorite of mine. Yard sales in general are a favorite! We also have this as a big party weekend, but I suspect that there will be some good yard sales for another month or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's definitely something I miss out on living where we do. We used to hit yard sales all the time. Now, it's an EVENT if we go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)