Friday, September 25, 2009

Drying Herbs

Our herb garden did great this year. We have been drying herbs for the past 2 months just to keep the plants from going insane. Generally we spread the leaves on cookie sheets and put the cookie sheets on the dash board in one of our trucks. The sun does the rest. But we also decided to do some bundles to dry. The smell of fresh cut herbs, especially in large quantities is just amazing! So, last night Troy and I worked on bundling up some herbs.

We only did 4 herbs last night. We have several more to do. I thought since we were doing these bundles that I would tie a ribbon around a couple of each of the herb bundles and just incorporate it into the whole "Autumn" thing and hang them from the hooks on my bakers shelf in the dining room.

Rosemary
Spearmint
Basil
Lemon Verbena


Troy tied off bundles with fishing line and I just brought out some satin ribbon and did floppy tied bows.



Let me tell you, when we woke up this morning, our house smelled so incredible! The kitchen is downstairs and yet both floors smelled of fresh herbs.

We still have quite a bit more to dry. I am very excited about all the "tea" herbs we have this year. We have the lemon balm, lemon verbena, mint, spearmint, peppermint, apple mint and stevia. All of which should give me a good supple to try and come up with some nice herbal teas. I also would love to try some with a little of the culinary herbs added in. In our "free' time (LOL) both Troy and I have really been researching out different health benefits to different herbs and a couple of the herbal teas that we have created really have had soothing effects. Next year, I know we are going to expand our "tea" herbs even more.

We have been experimenting with different combinations throughout the summer. I am finding that I really like fresh herbal teas so much better than commercial made ones. The flavor and strength difference is so immense. Not too mention, our herbs are obviously grown organically. We use absolutely no chemicals in our soil. And have you priced herbal teas? Good herbal teas are so expensive! Planting our own herbs has been so fun and rewarding and really rather cheap.

Also, I am keeping my eye out at the thrift stores for some cute jars to keep just the "tea' herbs in.

Once again, in my best Martha voice, "Growing your own organic herbs is a good thing!"

So, if you have any fresh herbal tea recipes that you like, I would love to hear them.

This post is being linked to (alot..LOL...but there are so many great link ups on Friday and this post fits a lot of them. Not too mention, these are all great blogs!):

Hooked on Houses for "Hooked on Fridays"
Life as Mom for "Frugal Fridays"
The Inspired Room for "Beautiful Friday"
There's No Place Like Home for "Show and Tell"
Food Renegade for "Fight Back Friday"
Expressly Corgi for "Get R Done Friday"



Subscribe to The Thrifty Groove by Email

18 comments:

  1. Oh I bet! I bet the fragrances around your home WAS incredible!!! Beautifully done.

    My show n tell is a dolphin framed work of art today. Stop by if you can, I'd love to have you visit. HERE is the permalink to today's post

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine the fragrance! How clever to use them as Autumn decorations.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy! That would be so nice to wake up to. Especially the rosemary. Guess I better get around to collecting some of my herbs!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for participating in GET R DONE FRIDAY - lovely post! I wove 'Sweet Annie' from our local farmer's market into a wreath, and it smells wonderful, esp. when we open or shut the door! Such a spicy scent - just love it! I can imagine your home smells wonderful with the herbs drying! Great idea for fall decor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my how pretty you make the herbs look will drying!! Such a neat idea.
    vickie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just imagine!
    They look so pretty but that smell must have been amazing!

    Becky K.
    Hospitality Lane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I can practically smell them as you tell us about them. What fun for you. Messing with herbs is something I have never done. So I found this very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's sounds wonderful.

    I often thought, if i ever cooked, fresh herbs would be the way to go.

    I do just like flowers and things dried and hanging around, even if i do not use them. =0)

    Thanks for joining us on Get R Done Friday.

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds lovely! Thanks for sharing this in today's Fight Back Friday carnival.

    Cheers,
    ~KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just imagine how wonderful your house smells. I love the smell of basil

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw! If I could just get my herbs to grow! I'm sure that your recipes are so much better from your home grown herbs! Not to mention that they are probably healthier for you too!

    Get R Done Friday!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice touch. Great idea. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love drying out my herbs. This is such a great post, it makes me want to go and get my window herb garden ready for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh...I can smell it now. I went crazy with basil this year. I just love it to make pesto and to dry! Great post!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to have a big herb garden but it overgrew itself when I had those few years when I couldn't garden. I redid my veg. garden this year which turned out wonderful but only planted basil and oregano. Next year I will think about putting in an herb garden again. I used to dry by hanging in bunches in my house and in my antique shop. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I can just imagine the wonderful fragrance! I had to cover my herbs as we are due for a freeze tonight but think I will bundle some up tomorrow! Thank you so much for giving me the nudge!

    blessings
    mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Diann :)